Get facts about volley in tennis and how to do tennis volley like a tennis pro the easiest way.
What is a tennis volley? A tennis volley occurs when a tennis player strikes the ball back with a racquet before the tennis ball gets to touch and bounce off the ground. So, a tennis volley is executed by striking the ball in the mid air before it bounces on the ground by either conducting a drop volley or drive volley.
How Is Tennis Volley Executed?
Before executing a volley tennis game, you must learn how to improve your volley in tennis. First you need to have the correct body posture in readiness to receive the ball. Here are some essential correct body posture before making an volley execution
- Have your body inclined forward
- Your shoulders to be positioned slightly ahead of your feet, and the feet spread slightly apart
- Let the soles of your feet hold your body weight
- Have your forearms and elbows slightly apart away from your body and towards the front
- Slightly lift your head with eyes looking at the returning ball, concentrate to focus your attention on the ball
- Hold your racquet pointing towards the front and a good hammer grip
- Depending on which hand you are comfortable, hold the throat of your racquet
- Have you knees bent a little bit
- With this comfortable position you are ready to execute
Often, a volley is commonly done when a player assumes a position close to the net but it can also be done when the player stands near the baseline or is positioned at the center of the court. Generally, irrespective of the type of volley you intend to apply,
The following are steps to executing a volley
1. Assume a positing between a service line and the net
2. As the ball is moving towards you, approach it instead of simply waiting for the ball to reach you first
3. Have one leg out opposite the direction of the ball
4. Give the ball a good blow downwards.
Forms Of Volley Execution
1. Drop Volley
When doing a drop volley, a player assumes a short backswing before punching a tennis ball. Often, a short backswing often occurs since the time is too limited to have an much longer backswing. Since a short backswing was used, the ball will not go too far.
Often, the stricken tennis ball is more likely to fall slightly over the net to the opponent’s court assuming the ball did not touch any section of the net that can trigger a fault.
With a good training experience a player should be able to make the ball land over to the opponent’s courts at a slight distance away from the net such that the opponent cannot get the ball. The player earns a score in such a case.
2. Drive Volley
Unlike in a drop volley where there is only a short backswing, in a drive volley the player followthrough when making a strike. Thus, a drive volley result in an aggressive, and fast moving shot that will most often land the ball slightly after the net into the opponent’s court.
3. Half Volley
What is a half volley in tennis? Half volley in tennis means hitting the tennis ball just after it makes a bounce off the ground but the ball has not yet reached its maximum bounce height. In a half volley, it becomes more complicated to do a good volley shot when the ball comes at a much lower distance than expected.
Often, it can be a wise idea to allow the ball bounce on the ground before attempting to hit back. However, with good reflexes and a bit of critical thinking including assuming the right posture you can deliver a great half volley shot.
Main Types of Tennis Volley
Based on the diverse volley tennis rules, tennis volley can be categorized into three main groups namely:
a. Forehand Volley
Forehand volley is a type of volley played by a striking a ball from the forehand side. Have your hands extend to the opposite direction to help balance your body. Let your wrist tilt a little. Hut the ball.
In a forehand volley, you can execute the forehand volley in three ways
1. Straight volley:
Straight volley result in the tennis ball being hit straight towards the opponent’s side. Have your wrist open up, the racquet head should be in a backward position, have your spit stance closed, hit the ball.
2. Hit the ball in a different direction:
It is simple, flick the wrist a little bit as well as the racquet position before striking the ball. Any minimal change in wrist position can significantly alter the movement of your shot. Practice well.
3. Crosscourt volley:
Crosscourt volleys allows you to move the ball in the opposite direction. In front of your wrist, place your racquet. Strike the ball.
b. Backhand Volley
Backhand in tennis done by striking the ball from the backhand. To execute a backhand volley, close your feet. Slightly behind your head, place your racquet. Hit the ball. Your feet and hips will automatically open up to help you assume a good body balance.
When executing a backhand volley
- The racket should not be position too high. Extremely raised racket can result in poor angle of your shot.
- Move towards the ball, do not stiffen your body to wait for the ball to come your way
- Use just enough power to move the ball. Too much power usage can significantly alter the intended direction of your shot.
c. Overhead Volley
You see the position assumed by a winner holding a trophy? Yes. When a tennis ball is struck with hands and racquet at the overhead position result in an overhead volley.
How To Get Better Results Executing A Tennis Volley
You have to be cautious when initiating a tennis volley. It is because a weaker volley shot can easily give the opponent an upper hand to aggressively return the shot using a passing or a lob shot. Be sure to conduct a volley tennis to meet the following conditions:
- Ensure the tennis ball moves over the net a slight distance shy from the net such that the opponent cannot get the ball
- Conduct a volley to trigger a sharp angle shot since an angled shot is less lightly to hit back by an opponent
- Make a hard shot that bounces near the sideline and baseline of the opponent such that chances of the opponent returning the ball is slim.
Things To Remember When Executing A Volley Tennis Game
- Always maintain a forward posture, slightly opened legs, and knees bent with your racket in a ready state.
- Be as near as possible to the net
- Backswings should be short
Benefits Of Executing A Tennis Volley Correctly
- Opponent gets minimal to no time to react and receive a ball, a score can easily be realized with a volley tennis
- Pro players tend to reduce the risk of bad bounce that can spoil the game. A volley tennis execution increases the chance that a tennis ball will hit the intended sport of the court.
- Executing a volley tennis near the net give a player an added advantage of having a wide angles to hit the opponent court without the opponent suspecting. A score can easily be realized.
Limitations Of Executing A Tennis Volley
- Unless a player has a faster reflex, a fault can easily occur
- Maximum coordination of both hands and eyes is a must for a perfect volley tennis shot to come into a reality.
Who Has The Best Tennis Volley Execution
Several pro players both males and females have had a remarkable tennis volleying skills. You can track performance of individual tennis player of your choice. The following is a table showing a few of outstanding tennis player with much advanced volleying skills in history.
Maria Esther Beuno
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the first point in a tennis score?
The first point in a tennis score is ‘love’. Instead of calling the score zero, tennis scoring rules dictate the first point to be called a tennis love. So, if you are wondering what does the score love mean in tennis is simply the first point in a tennis score, zero.
What does a set in tennis mean?
A set in tennis means a total of 6 games. In tennis, the a game comprises of best of three sets or best of five sets. How long does a tennis game last also varies with a best of three sets lasting about 1.5 hours to 3 hours while the best of five sets lasting 2.5 hours to 5 hours on average.
What comprises a match in tennis?
A tennis match comprises of sets, games and points. A set comprises 6 games. A complete tennis match therefore consists of complete best of three sets or best of five sets. Tennis scoring points include love, 15, 30, 40, deuce, all, Ad-in, and Ad-out.
Getting a clear picture of what is a volley tennis game is essential to help you understand how to clearly execute a good shot of volley. Besides, with frequent tennis volley drills and practice, you are likely to master volley skills and you can be able to deliver your shot like a volley tennis pro.